What if I Slip and Fall Out of State?

october-blogs-accident-994007_1920People don’t spend much time worrying about injuring themselves, and this is particularly true when they are traveling away from home. There are a lot of reasons for going out of state, but whether you are visiting a friend or loved one, on vacation, or traveling for some other reason, if you’re away from home and you sustain a slip and fall injury out of state, then things are extra complicated. As is true when you are home, your first concern should always be to get the medical treatment that you need and make sure that you get all of your medical records about your diagnosis and your expenses. Additionally, you want to notify the premises owner or manager about the accident and your injury as soon as possible, and speak to any people who may have witnessed your accident so that you can make sure that you know how to contact them for evidence. Though it may be more comfortable to work with a personal injury attorney from where you live, the law requires that you work with an attorney who is licensed in the state where the injury occurred, so you will need to find an attorney local to the site of the accident. The attorneys at Josselson Law can help you connect with a qualified lawyer – or if you are from out of state and you were injured in New Jersey, we are available to provide you with experienced and aggressive representation in your case.

A personal injury attorney who practices in the state where you were injured will provide you with a number of important advantages when you are filing a slip and fall injury lawsuit. They will have immediate and convenient access to the site of your injury and be able to collect evidence such as security camera video and witness testimony more easily. They will also be completely aware of all of the local laws that apply to your case. Perhaps most important of all, they will have met all of the legal requirements established by the state where your accident occurred to file a lawsuit and represent you in settlement talks or in court.

When you have been injured as a result of another’s negligence, you want to make sure that your legal representation is qualified and competent.  When an injury occurs out of state and far from your home, it presents an additional complication that is easily addressed by putting the matter into the hands of a qualified local attorney. At Josselson Law, we will take the time to investigate and determine what law firm will provide you with the knowledge, experience and reputation that will work to your advantage, and get you the compensation that you need and deserve for the injuries that you have suffered.

Latest News

Signs Your Co-worker May Be Too Impaired to Drive

Thanksgiving is nearly upon us, and that means that the company holiday party season is right around the corner. These get togethers are a great time to celebrate a successful year, to recognize accomplishments and to look forward to what the new year will hold. Unfortunately, on far too many…

Read More